I just have to say that I am proud of both Lido and I.

For the past two years he has been rocked to sleep, cuddled, loved and snuggled prior to going to bed. After Doug died, I did it because I had been doing it but I also didn’t want to let him go. He wasn’t ready either. Then I just kept doing it because I needed it maybe more than him…but it was our ritual so he did like it and love it. Over the past couple of months I have been thinking about stopping the rocking to sleep and cuddling because quite frankly he was getting to big to rock and no matter how long I waited to transfer him to his bed…he would wake up. It would take me 45 minutes to an hour to get him to go to bed. Then the nights of not getting him transferred quickly and quietly enough started happening and I was just too tired to care…so he ended up in my bed with me going to sleep at 8 or 8:30.

Then my Mom stepped in this past Sunday and put him to bed and (gasp) walked out of the room…

You see, I had been thinking about moving his room to a little smaller room and right next to my bedroom. It felt more comfortable in there and there was already a full size bed. I thought that maybe if I moved him into a regular bed and got him Star Wars sheets, he would go to sleep on his own. Well, he was definitely excited about the Star Wars and he was excited about the big bed. But he did not go to sleep on his own – or I was really weak and couldn’t let him scream and cry….

I moved all of the bedroom furniture out of the new room, put most of his in there and set it up with a nightstand, bookcase and lamp that he can turn off and on as well as a clock radio. All of this worked amazing well…as long as I slept with him. I just forgot to add my Mom to the mix.

So back to Sunday – she puts him down. He cries and get’s out of bed and comes downstairs. She walks him back up to bed and puts him back in. She comes downstairs. He gets up and cries from the top of the stairs. She gets up and does the song and dance again. He gets up one more time and she does her thing. And he is out.

Not only is he asleep on his own in a big bed but he sleeps through the night. Before, he would wake up at midnight or 3am and come in and sleep with me.

The next night it was my turn. I only had to put him back 4 times. The following was 3. The night after that, I thought he had gotten up so I went upstairs and he was actually still in his bed…he was crying. Tonight, he is in there with about a 5 second cry and out. And it wasn’t even 8:30 yet. Man – I can get a lot done now before I go to bed!

I am proud that I was able to do this. It was Doug who handled these types of things. That held my hand when I had to do them myself. That was there to comfort me. That was there to tell me that it would be alright and it would work.

I am proud of Lido for graduating to that next level.

And I am proud and oh so thankful for my Mom showing me that this could be done.

Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: